9.11.2008

Meet our baby!

Last Thursday, I had a baby boy. I went into labor on my own, which was good. I kind of thought I was going into labor, but wasn't quite sure, and the previous day I had thought I was too. So, on Thursday, I went to ShopKo with two of the best people ever. I had a pretty good contraction in the car on the way, and thought that they were probably getting stronger. Then as we wandered in the store, I had a couple more, and one when I was checking out. I really had to focus to keep a straight face. I decided I better sit in the car for the next stop. We were on our way to destination #2 and I had a good one, and the driver read my mind, for she said, "maybe we should drop you off at home." Good idea.

The labor went really fast. I was really surprised by how quickly I progressed, and how strong the contractions were. They never really went away, so it was hard work. I pushed for almost two hours before the doctor said that despite their patience, my hard work, and trying the vacuum, this baby wasn't coming out. So, c-section it was.

It was much different than the first time. They weren't very caring, but I guess it's the health of the baby that is important, rather than the comfort of emotional state of the mom. Nevertheless, it wasn't very pleasant.

I finally got to hold him at about 6:30 a.m. on Friday morning, about 10 hours after checking in, and two hours after the delivery. It was definitely love at first sight. All the worries I had about being able to love him enough, or anxiety about being able to physically care for two children, all of that was replaced by this overwhelming sense of joy, and accomplishment, and love. Meeting for the first time was just an amazing experience.

His name is Owen Nicholas. He was 6lb 8oz and 19 inches long. He is a good baby.

Emma really likes the new baby. She pats him very gently and says, "nice". She is concerned when he cries and is eager to look at him, and it will be fun when she can hold him.

So it's been a crazy week. Everyone is adjusting really well. He sleeps well and doesn't cry unless there is something wrong. So, the family is happy and healthy :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just started to cry (at work) when I read your post. I'm so happy for you guys, and your pictures are beautiful!!

Nina said...

He is beautiful. He doesn't look like a newborn baby at all! Gorgeous!!!

Janelle said...

Congratulations on your new little guy! What a blessing.