12.18.2008

happy anniversary to me.

Our anniversary was on Tuesday. My husband surprised me with a fun weekend away. On Saturday his parents arrived at our house to stay with the Emma, and we headed to the city. We dropped off the baby with his cousin and had a few hours completely alone. It was, fantastic! After a very nice dinner we retrieved our bundle of joy (or crabbiness) and checked into a hotel. We had a wonderful time lounging and getting our HGTV fix.

It was such an awesome surprise. He never fails to amaze me. I am very lucky to have him, he's a catch!

I have been remembering some of the lessons I have had. A handful of examples...

~ people have different definitions of numerous things. simple things, such as when the toilet paper is really gone, is subjective. act accordingly.

~ when something is wrong, and he asks, "what's wrong", he really does know that something is wrong. so insisting that nothing is wrong is an insult to his intelligence. just answer truthfully, for pete's sake.

~ luke skywalker's history. maybe his dad isn't such a bad guy after all.

~ we are each other's biggest fan. if that ever changes, we'll need to change it back.

~ i don't need to be martha stewart to be a good wife. i need to let him have his own expectations of me.

~ the things that you read about men in magazines or on MSN are rarely true. if you have a question, just ask him. if you assume the things you read are true and follow the "rules" they give, he may eventually think you are really weird and will want you to return to normal.

~ there is nothing better than married life.

~ how to give a haircut.

~ how to ask for forgiveness, although i don't do this nearly enough.

~ men aren't women. they will never be women. don't treat them like women. we don't want them to be women. if you want to talk to a woman, call a woman.

~ how to move.

and finally,

~ no matter what happens in my life, my husband is a soft place for me to fall. a place where there is no judgement, no harsh words and no "i told you so's".

No comments: