6.20.2008

name that tree

Our mornings start with breakfast, then some inside play time, followed by going outside. Emma explores and I drink my cup of coffee. It is nice and shady still, and a very peaceful start to the day.

Emma was bird watching today. Well, birds as well as rabbits. She found several and pointed, then exclaimed "puppy!".

She teetered her way down the lawn, and headed south, towards the front of the house. As she marveled over the rocks in the neighbors landscaping, I lamented over the overgrowth on the side of our house. There are a few shrubs or trees or something, that began the season as little guys, and now are towering over the bulbs that are taking over. It is not the most beautiful area, and I would love to get it dug up and plant some peonies or pansies, or something wildflower like. As I was grumbling about the ugliness, my eye caught sight of something marvelous.

This is truly a special bush. Can you name it??

It's a mulberry bush!!!!!!!

Oh, mulberry bushes are so great! I had said several times that I would love to have one, how much fun it was as a girl.

When I was growing up, we had these all over the farm. A huge one towered over the driveway, another huge one was off of a path by the upper garden, and several smaller ones dotted the fence line along various pastures or gardens. We used to just pick them and eat them off the bush. The berries are sweet and dark, and will stain your hands and clothes. They contain small seeds and make the texture ever so grainy, but the sweet treat is well worth the effort of picking them, however small they may be. One of the many things I took for granted, I have not seen a mulberry bush since.

So I tried one. They are not quite ripe yet, but it was still a fun and nostaligic experience.

And I reminded myself that sometimes the good things in life aren't always detailed and intricate. Sometimes they are overgrown and seemingly out of control. Sometimes they don't look quite like the neighbors, and sometimes you think you would rather dig it up and do your own thing. But without mulberry bushes, we have no mulberrys.




And here is the explorer (in her pj's). Rocks are of special interest to her. If we are walking, she will most times spy a rock and she must pick it up before we continue. As she is such a sweet little girl, she will want to share her treasure with you, and will undoudtedly delight in your excitement, and appreciate your help in wiping the dirt from her mouth.

No comments: