3.04.2008

my first day in the blog world

So...here I am! It's kind of exciting.

I really didn't think I would ever do this. I am not that techie, and I didn't know if I could figure this out or have any time to use it. But, I don't think you have to be that techie, I did figure it out, and if I put my addiction to day time court t.v. on hold, I do have time! Who knew.

I like to write. I have these thoughts sometimes, about how fun it would be to say this, or create a fun piece about this. I am not saying I am great at it, but I do think it is a hobby I would like, and I have recently been lamenting about how I need a hobby.

I also was hesitant because I didn't, and still don't, think that there were enough people that would actually read anything I wrote. I thought I would spend all this time giving updates and pouring my soul into this and it wouldn't matter to anyone. Then I had an amazing revelation. Well, it was kind of evolutionary. Who cares? This season of lent has helped me to see that I am supposed to be living for myself and my family, in a sense. That doesn't mean to be self centered or self serving, just that it is ok to be alone sometimes, it is ok to be quiet, and it is ok if you do things just for you. Read, write, whatever. So if this never gets read, or it gets read once a year, it can still have the same value for me. I think I have spent a lot of my life looking to other people for fulfillment, or for entertainment, or to vent frustrations, or to complain, or to be inspired. I don't think getting any of that is a bad thing, but I don't think it is the number one place. God has to be ahead of people, and as much as I realized this, I didn't see the little ways I was doing the opposite. You have to be ahead of people. Not that I am this big people pleaser or giver, but I can learn to entertain myself, to calm myself down, and be excited...by myself.

That got kind of long, excuse me, I'm growing here!

So I bathed the babe today, and realized that this may be the first bath she has had since the inevitable poop in the bathtub incident. It was a little scary, I am not going to lie. I realized it might be happening, and I took a moment to gain my composure and create an action plan, which involved lifting her out of the bath and holding her above a more appropriate place to do her business (which is an obvious plan, I know, but in the moment of sheer panic mode, ok, maybe just oh my goodness this is really happening mode, I had to work it out in my mind) it was done. Hmm...now I have a naked, confused baby and a bathtub full of water, with something foreign that should definitely never be in a bathtub. So I dealt with it, and seriously, it wasn't that bad. Not nearly as bad as you think it is going to be. When it is your child, the grossest things are just not that gross. A phenomenon that I can assure you contributes greatly to the continuing of procreation. Without it, there would be a lot more single child homes out there! Today went much more smoothly. Nothing but soap and toys lingering.

I crossed a threshold in my life on Saturday. I bought a bird feeder, for myself. I guess I am not a young and hip chick anymore, (maybe I was never that hip) I am a stay at home mom who wants to watch birds. But, I thought, who wants to be young and hip anyway? It just means wearing makeup that is most likely never as flattering as we think it is, wearing clothes that cost too much and don't hold a candle to lounge pants and a t-shirt, and spending your weeks staying up too late and spending too much money. So, bird feeder lifestyle, you aren't so bad. I put it up in the only good tree in the back, which is about 90-94% dead, and reached as far as I could to tie it up with the piece of duct tape I fashioned into a rope, and when I walked back to look at it from a distance, realized that I can't reach very high. It is in the third branch from the ground, so maybe, maybe, a third of the way up. But there was a red cardinal, or a red bird, and a blue bird, and something that I really think is a mourning dove that has visited. So, I deem is a success regardless.

I woke up early today, and actually got out of bed. There are things to do, life to live, blogs to start, apparently. It feels good to push yourself just a little, although I will never reveal just what time my feet hit the floor! The Emster was happy, she ate some cheerios, had a piece of toast and played very nicely while I listened to NPR.

I also made a pot of chili. I used our blender to puree one can of beans, if you haven't tried it, it is so good, and I couldn't find our blender. I was kind of irritated. Why, I just used it two years ago, where could I have put it? But, no worries, it was found. And it worked just like it did the first time, which was the last time we used it.

So I should post pictures, I know that makes this more exciting. I really need to catch up with mine, get some printed and deleted from my camera.

How does one end a blog entry? I am new at this, so my creativity and lack or experience may not impress anyone.

That's all for now....

Off to stir the chili...

Oh look, there is a bird...not really though

5 comments:

Unknown said...

O boy- I can tell I'm going to enjoy this new blog of yours! You seem to write your streaming thought process, which is how I usually write/talk to...so it's kind of fun to know that I'm not the only one!

Congrats on the new bird feeder, by the way. :)

Ben & Leah Weins said...

The popularity of your blog is already spreading coast to coast! Well, at least to the west coast. I'm so excited to see more of your inner world (:
Love, your sil

JDS Lark said...

Anne -- this is a milestone. This is the FIRST TIME I have ever read anyone's Blog. It's cool! A person writes different things when "thinking out loud on paper" than when e-mailing a specific person. I love reading about Emma. And I think you'll really enjoy your bird feeder -- not to mention your flowers. Love, Mom

ME said...

You're a blogger. I'm a fan. Yay you!

Unknown said...

Hey lil sis! Your fist post reminds me a LOT of the blog I used to keep... just talking about life and the little things in it. Cheery and thoughtful and just for you!

Great pics of Emma :-D


ps .... curses upon the required username! been 5 min so far and i still can't remember my password! LOL :)